Mr. Spatz practices primarily in the areas of corporate and securities laws, with particular emphasis in public and private financings and mergers and acquisitions. He represents businesses in a wide variety of industries, including technology, life sciences, medical devices, health care services, entertainment, natural resources, digital media, financial institutions, mortgage banking, specialty finance and consumer products. He advises these entities from inception through initial and start-up financing, venture capital, bank and/or secondary financings, initial and secondary public offerings, reverse mergers, listing on stock exchanges and the sale of the entity. Mr. Spatz also represents hedge funds and bridge funds in their formation and investments.
In addition to financing and acquisitions, Mr. Spatz advises Boards of Directors and management on marketing, distribution and sales agreements, licensing, corporate partnering, recapitalizations, executive compensation, and ongoing corporate and securities issues.
Mr. Spatz also represents insured depositary institutions and mortgage bankers in a variety of transactions, including financings, charter conversions, secured and unsecured lending, loan and loan servicing purchases and sales, federal and state regulatory issues, regulatory orders (supervisory agreements, MOUs, prompt corrective action directives and consent agreements) and deposit account issues.
Mr. Spatz is rated AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell.
Los Angeles Venture Association (President, 2014-present, Board of Directors, 2010–present)
State Bar of California (member, Financial Institutions Committee (1992-1995)
Los Angeles Chapter of TechAmerica (formerly the American Electronics Association or AeA) (Executive Council, 2001-2006)
University of Michigan (A.B., Economics)
University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
- Sale of SoCal manufacturer and supplier of health and wellness equipment to NY-based private equity fund
- Sale of specialty coatings manufacturer by private equity fund
- Sale of Southern California based company that designs, sells, leases and installs water irrigation systems for farmers to Midwest-based heavy equipment supplier
- Sale of company that provides wedding and event services at a facilities throughout California to a private equity fund
- Merger of company engaged in research, development, and commercialization of autologous cell-based therapeutics for use in regenerative medicine with a publicly traded medical device manufacturer
- Revolving credit facility for manufacturer and international seller of environmentally friendly bath and beauty products
- Private equity fund acquisition of specialty coatings manufacturer
- Reverse merger acquisition of company engaged in mining operations in Chile
- Sale of manufacturer of reverse osmosis filtration systems for military, commercial and pleasure marine applications to world’s leading manufacturer of motion and control technologies and systems
- $69 million initial public offering by special purpose acquisition corporation (SPAC)
- Sale of privately held equipment lessor to private equity fund
- Acquisition of western mortgage banking operations from large Midwest bank, and subsequent sale of operations to major national mortgage banker
- Cash sale of $40 million public company engaged in the design, manufacturing and marketing of high performance industrial sensors
- $12 million private placement of preferred stock for bank
- Formation of hedge fund to provide bridge financing to microcap companies
- $27 million self-tender offer by public company
- Reverse merger of music production services company and online content provider into public company
- Acquisition of $200 million community bank
- Brand-name licensing agreements for eyewear company
- $11 million bank credit facility for equipment lessor