Mr. Kramer specializes as a trial lawyer, handling a broad spectrum of business litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts. This experience includes securities, shareholder, partnership, officers and directors, trade secrets, unfair competition, employment, financial institutions, real estate and other complex civil litigation.
Mr. Kramer is rated AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell. He was also named a Southern California Super Lawyer from 2004-2015.
Mr. Kramer was the Mayor of the City of Malibu from 1994-1995 and served a four-year term on the Malibu City Council from 1992-1996.
Mr. Kramer is licensed to practice law in California and Utah.
Indiana University (A.B. with honors, 1973); Phi Beta Kappa (1972); Elvis J. Stahr Distinguished Senior Award (1973).
Stanford Law School (J.D., 1976); Member, Stanford Law Review (1975-1976).
- Representation of shareholders in securities fraud action following reverse merger transaction
- Representation of minority shareholders and employees in prosecution of action against the majority shareholder of a manufacturing company to enforce a shareholders’ agreement regarding ownership and control of the company
- Representation of general partners and affiliated companies in defense of class action and derivative suit brought by limited partners of three publicly traded real estate limited partnerships alleging breaches of contract and breaches of fiduciary duties
- Representation of partner in action to enforce oral partnership agreement relating to a real estate development in Palmdale, California
- Representation of limited partner in prosecution of action against the general partner of a syndicated real estate partnership alleging breaches of contract and breaches of fiduciary duty in the operation of an apartment complex in the San Francisco Bay area
- Representation of start-up manufacturing company and its management employees in defense of an action for misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, interference with prospective business advantage and other business torts arising out of the management employees’ former employment with and departure from a rival manufacturing company
- Representation of major designer label in trademark infringement and unfair competition action against a Los Angeles leather goods manufacturer
- Representation of 23 basic science professors in prosecution of action against a major university for breach of employment contracts and age discrimination affecting tenure, compensation and academic freedom
- Representation of national security guard company and management employee in defense of wrongful termination and sexual harassment claims brought by a terminated security officer
- Representation of entertainment company in action alleging pregnancy discrimination
- Representation of commercial lender in foreclosure proceedings and enforcement action against guarantors and defense of lender liability claims relating to equity participation loan to corporate developer of a shopping center
- Representation of bank in prosecution of breach of lease action against real estate partnerships and their general partners arising out of bank’s foreclosure of a loan secured by a shopping center
- Representation of real estate company in breach of contract action against national home builder relating to Coachella Valley golf course and related residential development
- Representation of owner of commercial property in quiet title action alleging valuable easements were extinguished by the doctrine of merger
- Representation of professional services company in action alleging breach of contract and fraud in connection with the sale and implementation of an employee stock option plan
- Representation of shareholders of closely-held real estate development company in action for fraud and professional negligence against the promoters of a defective pension plan
- Representation of shareholder and Chairman of the Board of bankrupt airline parts and service business in defense of an action by the trustee of the bankrupt estate alleging fraudulent conveyances of company assets before the bankruptcy
- Representation of municipality in breach of contract action regarding an exhibit conference center and hotel development and in related action alleging illegal conflicts-of-interest by city council members
- April 2014 Chapter 5, Shareholders Rights and Liabilities, Counseling California Corporations
- When Law Produces Results at Odds with Common Sense
- Lifting the Veil on California’s Alter Ego Law
- A Blueprint for Defending Derivative Actions
- New Risks for California Businesses in Drafting and Enforcing Customer and Employee Non-Solicitation Agreements
- The Risks of Recruiting At-Will Employees
- How Misuse of the Uniform Trade Secrets Act Can Be Countered
- California’s New Definition of Unfair Competition
- May 2013: Real Estate Lenders Beware: Merger May Destroy or Diminish the Value of a Lender’s Security
- January 2012: New California Employment Laws for 2012
- December 2011: Arbitration, Arbitrability, and Who Decides: Avoiding Arbitration Surprises
- December 2011: California’s Usury Law May Pose Hidden Risks for Investors in California Loans
- November 2010: Ninth Circuit Allows Debt-Specific Alter Ego Claims Against Bankrupt Corporation’s Shareholders
- April 2010: Derivative Action Dismissed Without Discovery Based on the Business Judgment of Disinterested Directors
- April 2010: State of the Art Dispute Resolution: What’s In Your Contract?
- December 2008: California’s Labor Laws Apply to Work Performed by Non-California Residents in California
- August 2008: California Supreme Court Rejects “Narrow-Restraint” Exception to Prohibition on Noncompetition Agreements
- September 2007: California Supreme Court Invalidates Class Arbitration Waiver
- September 2006: Non-Compete Agreements
- May 2004: Are Your Arbitration Agreements Enforceable?