Ms. Phillis has represented clients in the entertainment, music, media, and tech industries in state and federal court. She has significant experience in complex commercial disputes, intellectual property, trade secrets and employee mobility and governmental investigations.
Kendall Brill Kelly, Los Angeles, California
Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP, Los Angeles, California
Hon. Milan D. Smith, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2011-2012)
Chair, Commission on the Status of Women, City of Santa Monica
Chair, Santa Monica Rent Control Board
Ms. Phillis is licensed to practice law in California and Georgia.
Emory University School of Law (J.D., high honors, 2010), Order of the Coif, Charles Watkins Scholar. Executive Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal
Providence College (B.A., Valedictorian, 2007), Political Science & Women’s Studies Liberal Arts Honors Program
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice for major motion picture company in putative class action for Fair Credit Reporting Act violations.
- Represented family of the creator of a major television series in action for multiple contract and fiduciary duty claims in jury trial resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented heirs to Pissarro’s Rue St. Honoré, Apres Midi, Effet de Pluie (1897) in action to recover painting looted by Nazis.
- Represented music publisher in dispute concerning withdrawn rights under the ASCAP and BMI consent decrees.
- Represented investment firm in trade secret action concerning high-level executives.
- Defended and obtained favorable settlement for technology company in trade secret dispute.
- Represented publicly held company in defending qui tam claims arising under the False Claims Act.
- Filed amicus briefs in the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits in support of marriage equality.
- Co-authored amicus brief in support of City of San Francisco’s relocation fee ordinance for tenants evicted under the Ellis Act.
Author, “When Sixteen Ain’t So Sweet: Re-thinking the Regulation of Adolescent Sexuality,” Michigan Journal of Gender & Law, 2011.
Author, Foreward of Feminism & Legal Theory volume of the Emory Law Journal
Contributing Editor. Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in California (3d Ed.).