Mr. Selvin has more than 30 years of experience handling insurance coverage and international litigation. He represents insurers and national corporations in high-stakes civil disputes in a variety of commercial and business settings around the United States.
In 2011, Mr. Selvin won one of the largest judgments issued that year by the Los Angeles Superior Court – a $23 million judgment after trial. This case arose out of a commercial lending relationship involving a major institutional lender. Other notable experience includes a highly publicized three-month “bet the company” jury trial involving claims in the billions of dollars; his longstanding representation of media figures and celebrities in high-stakes litigation; and his expertise in successfully securing insurance coverage in cases involving business torts and intellectual property claims.
Throughout his career, he has maintained the highest AV “Preeminent” peer-review rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. Since 2007, Mr. Selvin has been listed in Best Lawyers® for both Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law and has also been listed as a Southern California Super Lawyer in the area of Commercial Litigation.
Prior to joining TroyGould, Mr. Selvin practiced for 25 years with Loeb & Loeb LLP, where he was a partner in that firm’s litigation department.
A graduate of the University of Chicago and the UCLA School of Law, Mr. Selvin is a Fellow in the highly selective Litigation Counsel of America. He is also a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, a nationwide organization which recognizes lawyers who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts.
Annual Panelist, 2001-2008 with Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) in connection with its annual “Recent Developments In Civil Procedure” program. Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (2002-2008).
Since 2007, Mr. Selvin has been listed for both Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law in Best Lawyers in America®.
Since 2007, Law and Politics, Inc. has identified Mr. Selvin as a Southern California “Super Lawyer” for Business Litigation.
- Represented assignee of construction lender in connection with claims against loan guarantors for breach of guarantees on a defaulted construction loan. The case was tried to judgment in the Los Angeles Superior Court, resulting in decision by the Court awarding to our client approximately $23 million, representing a full recovery under the guaranties.
- Represented Jacques Cousteau and The Cousteau Society in highly publicized trademark infringement and dilution action involving the right to use the name of “Cousteau”; defendants included Jean-Michel Cousteau, Post Ranch Inn and the owner of the Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort. Obtained preliminary injunction from U.S. District Court barring use of the name by the resort; parallel proceedings in Fiji.
- Represented major institutional lender in connection with federal court litigation arising out of defaulted $30.5 million construction loan. Litigation included lender liability action brought by borrower against client and fraud action brought by client against the general contractor for the project. Achieved summary judgment on borrower’s lender liability claim and highly successful resolution of client’s fraud action claim against general contractor.
- Successful defense of celebrity Tony Robbins in connection with high-profile claims asserted by former Robbins franchisees for fraud, R.I.C.O. and other claims arising out of acquisition by plaintiffs of franchise; plaintiffs had their complaint dismissed with prejudice and were ordered to pay Robbins money as part of settlement; case generated three published U.S. District Court opinions in client’s favor.
- Three-month “bet the company” jury trial defending German media giant Bertelsmann, A.G. and its executives in connection with $3.5 billion lawsuit by former promoters and developers of electronic commerce joint venture for a share of the venture’s profits.
- Successful insurance recovery actions brought on behalf of non-profit organization against liability insurers and insurance broker arising out of multi-million dollar personal injury claims asserted by third party claimants, where carriers had originally declined to provide coverage.
- Tried case to judgment for Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA) against TIAA’s commercial loan borrower for failure to complete loan transaction, achieving $1.2 million judgment representing damages in action for breach of loan agreements.
- Tried case to judgment for commercial lender in federal court against borrowers for fraud, fraudulent transfer and related claims, resulting in $1.5 million judgment, including punitive damages and a finding of alter ego against borrower’s wife affiliated companies.
- Successful representation of AIG-subsidiary National Union Fire Ins. Co. in declaratory relief and bad faith action involving imposition of multi-million dollar penalties assessed against insured-employer under California worker’s compensation laws.
- Tried to judgment writ of mandate proceeding on behalf of insurance broker Willis which confirmed client’s award of insurance and risk management contract in connection with the Alameda Corridor redevelopment project.
- Representation of insurance broker Willis in negligence suit brought by National Football League arising out of alleged “gap” in coverage.
- Representation of Sun Life Assurance of Canada in $50 million recovery action arising out of client’s reinsurance arrangements with Golden Eagle Insurance Company and Mesa Re Insurance Company.
- Successful representation of AIG-subsidiary National Union Fire Ins. Co. in connection with purported multi-billion dollar “private attorney general” action arising out of alleged violations of California’s Worker’s Compensation laws by defendant class of insurance carriers.
- Successfully represented Standard Insurance Company in defeating “lender liability” claim brought by former borrower; achieved summary judgment on borrower’s claims and an award of attorneys’ fees to client.
Mr. Selvin has been published in numerous business and legal publications, including the International Financial Law Review, Executive Counsel, Risk & Insurance and Global Counsel. His publications have also appeared in professional publications in the UK, Germany, France, Mexico, Japan and in other countries.
His recent publications include a chapter on “Avoiding and Resolving Disputed In International Commercial Litigation” in the treatise International Law for CEOs: Lessons From Leading International Lawyers (2013) and a chapter on International Service of Process in the treatise Transatlantic Commercial Litigation and Arbitration (Oceana 2004). He is also the author of the chapter on dispute resolution in California that is a part in the 2013 edition of Law Business Research’s annual treatise on International Dispute Resolution, which is a standard reference work in this area.
- Liability insurance often has a role in class action defense
- Cyber risk and its enterprise implications
- Dispute Resolution In 48 jurisdictions worldwide
- July 2015 ICLG International Arbitration
- Enforcement of International Arbitration Agreements in U.S. Courts
June 2015 Enforcement of International Arbitration Agreements in U.S. Courts. This article first appeared in the twelfth edition of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: International Arbitration; published by Global Legal Group Ltd, London.
- Dispute Resolution in California 2014
- Litigation and Enforcement in the United States: Overview
- New Opportunities for Finding Liability Insurance Coverage in Business Cases
- Traditional Insurance Products and Cyber-Liability Clai
- Traditional Insurance Products and Cyber Fraud Claims
- Steep Penalties for Wrongfully Refusing to Defend
- Dispute Resolution in California 2013
- Liability Insurance Coverage For False Advertising Claims
- Got Protection? Coverage for Cyber-Risk Under Traditional Insurance Policies
- Finding Cyber-Risk Coverage in Your Traditional Policy
- “Disparagement” Under a CGL Policy
- Liability Insurance Coverage for Copyright Infringement
Mr. Selvin has been a featured speaker with such organizations as the Director’s Roundtable, California Continuing Education of the Bar, the Practicing Law Institute and the International Bar Association.
- Peter Selvin’s Article Published in Financier Worldwide
- Webinar – The Evolution of Cyber Insurance Industry: Unraveling the Complexities
- Peter Selvin Cited for Excellence
- Selvin Discusses “Unexpected Coverage” in Daily Journal
- Best Lawyers for 2015
- TroyGould 2014 Super Lawyers
- TroyGould Adds Veteran Trial Lawyer in Los Angeles