Mr. Hillsberg has specialized for more than 30 years in the corporate and securities areas. His practice has focused on the life sciences and technology industries, where he has represented many public and private companies in connection with their capital-raising, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, licensing transactions, SEC reporting and corporate governance.
Having served as a founder and director of a number of pharmaceutical, medical device and other companies, Mr. Hillsberg brings a broad business as well as legal perspective to his representation of clients and their management teams. He is frequently quoted in business and law publications regarding life sciences issues.
Mr. Hillsberg has been named by The Best Lawyers in America as a Best Lawyer in the field of Biotechnology for 2016. He has also been frequently chosen as a Southern California Super Lawyer for his work in the field of securities law. Mr. Hillsberg is rated AV® PreeminentTM 5.0 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell.
Chairman of the Board of Galena Biopharma, Inc., a cancer vaccine company
Director of Lion Biotechnologies, a public cancer therapy company
Co-founder and prior director of ImmunoCellular Therapeutics, Ltd., a public cancer immunotherapy company
Prior co-founder and director of Medco Research, Inc., a cardiovascular pharmaceutical company that subsequently was NYSE-listed and acquired by King Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Prior co-founder and director of Duska Therapeutics, Inc., a public biopharmaceutical company
Member of the Board of Governors of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center; former Commissioner of the City of Los Angeles.
University of Pennsylvania (B.A., summa cum laude, 1970); Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1973); Phi Beta Kappa.
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in its IPO and drug development activities through FDA approval
- Represented thermal technology company in a strategic alliance with world’s second largest bottling company
- Represented major real estate syndicator in series of public offerings underwritten by major investment banking firm
- Represented pharmaceutical company in its licensing and strategic alliance with leading academic medical center for Nobel-Prize winning genetic technology
- Represented family member in sale of control of Fortune 500 company
Co-author, Chapter 4, “Duty of Loyalty,” in Advising and Defending Corporate Directors and Officers April 2007, California Continuing Education of the Bar (1998, updated 2007). Co author, Chapter 13, “Corporate Aspects of Dissolution,” in Closely Held Corporations, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (1977). He also assisted in drafting the present California General Corporation Law.
- Sanford Hillsberg Quoted in San Fernando Valley Business Journal Article
- Sanford Hillsberg Interviewed on KNX Regarding Pfizer Merger
- Sanford Hillsberg Recognized by Best Lawyers in America as Leading Biotech Lawyer
- Sanford Hillsberg Quoted in Daily Journal
- World Bank Taps TG for Survey
- TroyGould 2014 Super Lawyers
- Kindred Bio Completes Follow-on Public Offering
- Kindred Bio IPO Ushers in New Industry